photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Friend-less in Philly

Alrighty. I'm going to be a little woe-is-me today.

So far, I love almost everything about Philly (sans the traffic, liquor laws, distance to Target, and the weather). As a girl who prefers small towns or suburbs to cities (I hated living in San Francisco), I'm shocked that I could enjoy a city as much as I have this one over the last 3 months. 

But one big problem with Joe's choice of school is that the class is full of recent college graduates. Being 29 (Joe) and 27 (me) make us among the oldest in any social setting. There is one student who is 35 and I think I may have heard rumors about one or two other people close to Joe's age.

Aside from that? The class is made up of people so young they don't know who McGruff The Crime Dog is.

Seriously. Joe made a joke and referenced McGruff and all he got were blank stares.

Look, I am not ageist at all. In fact, I love the idea of being "class mom" and baking cookies, giving advice, etc. for/to these whippersnappers. And, despite being younger than us, everyone I've met in Joe's class is super sweet and welcoming. They are such an amazing group of people and I feel blessed that Joe will be surrounded by them for the next 4 years.

The only reason I am so bummed about the age of the students in his class (aside from the references they don't get... poor McGruff) is because that means very few (as in maybe just one?) of them are married. I've been reading blogs of other dental school wives and it seems like they have this cute little network of other women whose husbands are going through the same thing.

I'm already getting lonely, and know it's about to get much, much worse. I need friends, and just don't have them yet (unless you count the 4 & 5 year-olds I nanny). I always assumed that I'd meet wives/fiancees/gf's of dental students and that would be the way I made my Philly friends.

I am starting to think I need a plan B.

So what is your advice? How do adult women make friends?

I can't count on making work friends because I may have to continue nannying with the way the job market is in Philly. Even if I do eventually find an office job, who says there will be people my age or that they will even WANT to make a new friend?

Do I just accept the fact that Buster is going to be my Philly BFF?

While I love him to pieces, he's not interested in eating ice cream and watching Sex & the City

3 comments:

  1. You should read MWF Seeking BFF, it's a similar look at branching out and making new friends. I laughed and related a LOT as I read it during my transition to Portland. You're so fun, you'll make friends quick!

    ReplyDelete


  2. Wow, I LOVE your place! Looks like Buster does too. I can sure relate about making new friends in a new city. No doubt with your great personality, you'll get connected in no time. Hang in there. It'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Join a church/bible study :) Also, you may find some fellow sweat-ers at the gym. Look for a book club. Strike up conversations with anyone that looks nice and friendly wherever you are. Good luck, honey!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)