photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What a Difference a Day Makes

Given Philly's dismal job market and the fact that I have heard nothing but silence and bad news since I started looking, I decided this morning to apply for a couple of nanny positions.

I had been debating the idea for a few weeks and even signed up for two websites where parents can connect with potential nannies. I had considered nannying the last time I looked for a job, but the difference in pay between a "regular" job and a nanny job in California was pretty large. In Philly? Not so much. Not that nannies make a lot, it's just that every one else seems to make so little.

Since the pay would be roughly the same, and I'd likely enjoy nannying a whole heck of a lot more than an office job, I threw caution to the wind and applied for two positions this morning that seemed like good fits. One was a temporary position (figured it might be a good chance to get experience and a reference) and the other was a full-time position for a family that lives pretty close to us.

Less than 20 minutes later I had responses from both requesting interviews with me!

I met with the mother who advertised the full time position today, and I think the interview went well. If anything, maybe I sounded like I like kids too much. She seemed a little worried that I might get pregnant soon (nope, not happening) and she wants to make sure I can commit for at least 1 year (which I get). She said that she'd like me to meet her son and husband next week, so my fingers are crossed. It seems like a great family to work for, and I can't wait to meet the little guy.

After the interview, I decided not to pursue the temporary position. That position would start immediately, isn't full-time hours, and would only be for two months. Since I have to wait until sometime next week to know about the full time position from today, I don't want to get myself in a situation where I accept the temporary job and lose the full time one.

Joe made the point that if I got such a quick response from both families after applying, I'd probably be able to find another full time position if the one from today falls through. Since we haven't run out of savings (yet) and I really liked the family from today, I went with his recommendation.

Of course, I still have dozens and dozens of resumes for non-nanny jobs floating around out there, and it's possible that I may get called for an interview for something else. I'm not officially going the nanny-route, but if it works out I really do think that it would be a job that would bring me a lot of happiness and purpose.

After all, nannying must be awful nice if these ladies did it twice ;)




***Side Note*** Okay, okay. Fran Drescher was technically a teacher in The Beautician and the Beast, but come on. She was essentially a nanny. ***End of Side Note***
 

2 comments:

  1. I stalked you on the internet... and I WOULD hire YOU to nanny my children! Then again, I am your mother, so I already have sampled your babysitting services over the years :) Good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's really a nice post..
    thanks for sharing it...
    Dental implant

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)