photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Moving Day Re-Cap

Yesterday we officially moved out of our apartment - it did not go as planned.

Originally, Joe and I thought we'd easily be able to fit our stuff into a pod (after all, we purged a lot and also stored a ton of things in my parents' attic in anticipation of the move).

Once the pod was delivered on Thursday, it looked a lot smaller than expected, but we figured it could do the job.

(That's what she said)

But on Friday when Joe moved down the couch, mattress, and box springs - just those items almost filled the pod entirely.

Uh oh.

So I texted my mom and asked if they could bring my dad's truck so he could bring either our couch or bed back to their house for storage.

Poor parents - little did they know just how little we knew about moving. (And thankfully they brought a large van instead of his truck!)

They arrived yesterday at about 9:30 and we didn't finish moving until 3. In that time Joe and I had to face the truth that neither our couch nor bed would fit in the pod, and that we'd have to start figuring out what other things to leave behind.

**Side note** For those dental school wives/girlfriends/sig others out there, I have to say I am a bit surprised Joe scored so well on Quantitative Reasoning on the DAT given how he grossly overestimated the capacity of the pod haha **End of side note**

Since our furniture is all Ikea, it's not SUPER expensive, but we certainly didn't want to replace it all - so I went online and priced out all of our furniture so we could prioritize the expensive items best we could.

Thankfully, probably due to years of my dad packing our car for family trips, somehow he and Joe were able to fit quite a lot.

Let's please take a moment of silence to remember the items that didn't fit: our couch, big living room chair, mattress & box springs, TV stand, and bedside tables.

...

My wallet is not going to like replacing them. And, despite my latest obsession with thrifting, I get the heebie jeebies thinking of getting a used bed and couch. MAYBE a couch. Definitely not a bed (especially not with the bedbug issues they have on the East Coast).

It wasn't an entirely depressing day. Joe's highlight was smashing a broken cabinet from our bathroom. My highlight was throwing ropes down to the guys from our 8th floor window (it was so weirdly fun):

And the best part was being finished:

Now we will spend most of April at my parents' house 2 hours north of San Francisco. It'll give us quality time with them, one of my brothers and his gf (my other brother is away at college), my grandma, our god-daughter and her parents, and some of my friends from high school. 

On Tuesday, though, we take a quick trip up to Portland and Spokane to visit family for a few days. 

Our adventure has officially begun!






Follow me on Bloglovin' 

1 comment:

  1. We (very) luckily only had to move about an hour away from our home town for Dental School. I think we rented a small Uhaul truck and then filled my mom's van and the back of a friend's pick-up. Is the pod for storage or is it being transported to Pennsylvania?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)