photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Jury Duty

Today I had jury duty and was pretty close to serving. I'm glad I wasn't chosen since I have an obligation to wrap up these last 8 days at work as efficiently as possible, but the further I got in the process, the more I actually wanted to serve.

Maybe it was the cheesy juror-prep video or the speech from the judge - but I started feeling very patriotic. Plus, the thought that my opinions could shape a person's life gave me a bit of a power trip ;)

Most of the other potential jurors (there were 71 of us total) didn't seem to share my patriotism / respect of the court. Not only were a dozen late (a few by 20-30 minutes!), but I was shocked at how they were dressed. I saw one girl in a sweatshirt, jeans, and sneakers! Believe it or not, I was the only person wearing a suit jacket or blazer. I also didn't see another set of heels besides the ones on my feet.

**Side Note** In fairness, I also had jeans on, but they were dark denim skinny jeans from Nordstrom. Plus, none of my dressy pants actually zip up over my gut, so it was either that or go sans bottoms. No one wants that. **End of Side Note**

Despite their attire, apparently I was among an impressive group. The guy who handled intake and explained the process said we were a "really smart and great group." He said this after we all raised our hands when he asked if we brought our jury summons (per the clear request on the summons, itself). Apparently, everyone following this simple direction hasn't happened in two years.

Yes. I typed that right. Two years.

Speaking of "smart" and "great," the defendant certainly wasn't either of these things (assuming she did what she is accused of. I heard enough speeches today to respect the phrase "innocent until proven guilty").

She was accused of a hit and run where the driver of the other vehicle was injured. She also didn't cooperate with the police officer when she was caught, refusing to provide her name or driver's license.

I'm confused as to how she can plead "not guilty" to this crime. Joe and I have both been victims of hit and runs, and I don't see a grey area: Car A is hit by Car B and the driver of Car B drives off leaving the driver of Car A with repair and (potentially) hospital bills.

Clearly, the driver of Car B is what?

A.) Spineless
B.) Un-ethical
C.) Selfish
D.) Pathetic
E.) A Criminal
F.) All of the Above

The correct answer is F in case you are curious.

Yes, I am biased. And I am sure there are a lot more details, but the defendant is probably lucky that I wasn't a juror. Sure, I would have listened to all of the facts, but I have high expectations of myself and others - it's not cool to hit a car, injure someone, drive away, and be uncooperative with police.

All-in-all, my first jury selection experience was an interesting one, but I'll be glad to get back to work tomorrow to continue the process of transitioning out. I can't believe that after 3 years I only have 8 days left!






Follow me on Bloglovin' 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)