photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Day 2 - Another Presidential Library

We are nearing the end of day 2 of our trip, and we've already knocked out another Presidential library. It turns out, the Nixon Library is just about 30 minutes away from where we are staying, so we decided to take a quick trip to Yorba Linda to check it out.

Since I realized that the purpose of a Presidential library (or, the appeal) may be unclear, I wanted to fill you in a bit on what the heck Presidential libraries are.

Presidential libraries are not libraries in the traditional sense. They are archives and museums that house the documents and artifacts of a President once that President is out of office. They are purposely designed to be non-partisan in their presentation of facts so people can discuss and form their own opinions about each administration. There are displays, interactive exhibits, papers, mementos, letters, photos, clothing, gifts, campaign materials, short videos, etc. throughout. The library typically brings visitors from a President's childhood, through his Presidency, and ends with his activities once out of office.

Every president since (and including) Herbert Hoover has his own (in fact, an act was passed in 1955 to establish a system of these libraries). The newest library (George W. Bush) opened just last week in Dallas, bringing the total number of official libraries to 13.

Of course, other Presidents besides these 13 have museums (Joe and I will probably go to Lincoln and Wilson "libraries" on the trip as well), but they are not officially managed by the National Archives so aren't official libraries.

The reason Joe and I like visiting is because we are both really interested in history. Since the POTUS is such a powerful world figure, these libraries not only help us understand the men who held the office, but the world events that occurred during their terms.

The libraries also help us see perspectives and facts we've never considered or thought important. In the US we so often get caught up in one side versus the other that we demonize half the Presidents and idolize the other half. It's rare to have an opportunity to digest a *mostly* non-partisan presentation of facts (I say mostly because I'm not sure how non-partisan anything really CAN be since everyone has his/her own agenda).

Even if you have a chance to visit a library of a President you don't like or aren't interested in, you'll probably still be happy you went. I never knew much about Nixon except for the Watergate scandal, but learned a ton of cool things today. Plus, the office really should be respected, regardless of whether or not you respect the man who fills it.

Alrighty, enough explanation.

Now, on to some photos :)

Joe was pleasantly surprised to see a display on NASA at the Nixon Library
Since I refuse to hand over my fancy camera to a stranger (#trustnoone), we aren't likely to have many shots of the two of us on this trip. Must get creative...
Joe and Winston Churchill. Churchill is holding a cigar and I wanted Joe to pretend to suck it, but he refused. No fun haha.
This was some kind of light thing on the carpet of one of the rooms. Reminds me of a reverse Bat Signal.
There was a display of letters that children wrote Nixon after he lost to Kennedy. OMG they were hilarious. Kids really do say the darndest things.
And another. Because kids make me laugh.
The actual house Nixon was born in is on the library grounds. This is the back - the front had a stupid tour group blocking my shot.
I've never been a huge fan of roses. I don't think they are THAT pretty (as far as flowers go). Today I finally got the appeal when we walked through the huge rose garden and I could smell the symphony of scents.
I cannot get enough of these bronze statues. They are everywhere, and I love taking photos of them :)

Tomorrow is Disneyland with Stacey. CAN'T WAIT!





Follow me on Bloglovin' 

1 comment:

I love comments :)