photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Monday, April 8, 2013

Apartment Hunting


Joe and I are in the very pleasant position of not currently paying rent. We moved out of our last apartment at the end of March, and won't be moving into a Philly apartment until the first week of June.

While I love the fact that we're no longer writing $1,500 rent checks for our humble abode (the Bay Area housing prices make me sick!), the time between the Bay Area and Philly was so long that we couldn't find an apartment before we moved out. It's a little disconcerting for a planner like me to have no clue as to where we will be living in just a couple short months - so I am excited to say that Joe will be flying out to Philly on Wednesday morning with the mission of finding us an apartment!

Yes - you read right - Joe is flying out. Not Joe and me. Just Joe.

Since round-trip tickets cost around $350, we didn't want to spend the money to fly me out as well, so I've left the apartment hunting in his very capable hands.

However - I will certainly be there in spirit, as I've created both a score sheet and "Apartment Considerations" guide (Joe knew when he married me how obsessed I am with well-executed planning haha).

I've only lived in a couple of apartments before, so I am sure I missed things we should be asking, but I thought it might be helpful to share in case anyone else is moving soon.

First, the scoresheet. Since each category varies wildly in importance, we won't be tallying up the scores and picking the apartment with the most points. Instead, it's just an easier way for us to compare places when he gets back to California.

**Side Note** To be clear, the safety "color zones" have nothing to do with race lol. It refers to this sweet safety map someone made of Philadelphia. FYI: UPenn is in the University City neighborhood **End of Side Note**

Next, elaboration on these "considerations" - as in, what the heck do I mean by these different considerations and what do I think are important things to know/ask.

Click here for a link to that Google Doc.

We still have a couple of days before Joe starts his tours - so if anyone has ideas of things I am missing - leave me a comment and let me know :)






Follow me on Bloglovin' 

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, this list is SO you! Pretty smart! I can't wait to check out your new pad in October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... looks like you covered everything! haha I like the "baby readiness" category especially. :) From my experience, the nicest thing has been our distance from the school. It is literally just down the street and it's been really nice to be able to take him to school in the morning or bring him lunch without having to drive across town. I guess this would go under "other amenities," but if you can find an apartment complex that has an office with free printing that can be a HUGE plus. Robbie used up all of his printing for the year at school within the first semester just printing power point presentations to take notes on. I think it was a couple hundred dollars more to buy more printing through the school. Luckily he's been able to print at our apartment complex office so we haven't had to do that or buy ink for our own printer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you're ready to hunt for rentals or at least your husband is now that he's equipped with this list! Great job! I think it's a great way to not forget small yet very important things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I was worried I was being overbearing ;) lol

      Delete

I love comments :)