photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Friday, April 12, 2013

Apartment Hunting: Day 1

Joe has reported back, and day 1 of apartment hunting didn't go as well as we'd hoped.

While the people showing the apartments all seemed very nice (hugely important - I don't want to deal with a rude property management company), the apartments themselves were incredibly tiny.

Tiny as in: no closets in the bedrooms and kitchens that consist of a small fridge, sink, stove, and maybe one 24"x24" counter (if we are lucky).

**Side note** How the HECK did I forget dishwasher on my score sheet?! **End of side note**

Tiny as in: "Katie, our last place was big compared to these places." (Our last place drove me nuts with its lack of space, storage, and the fact I had to jump over his desk chair to get to my side of the bed).

Yikes.

We always planned to move to the burbs during the summer between year 2 and year 3, but we wanted to start out as near to the school as possible because we:

A.) Don't want to socially isolate ourselves (we are both homebodies and living in the burbs would only enable our self-isolation)

B.) Don't know how often he will need to be on campus (if he spends most of his day there, I'll want him close so he doesn't waste free time on a commute. Plus, I can stop by with dinner, etc. if he has to study late)

C.) Want to experience the city life (though we've come from San Francisco, neither of us felt like we really lived in the city since I lived as far west and he lived as far south as you could get in SF before we got married, and then immediately moved to the burbs)

After today, however, Joe said that it looks like the burbs will be a move we make after the first year.

Joe is wonderfully adaptable, so if he doesn't think it will work long-term, I am a bit afraid to see what these apartments actually look like... something I may not be able to do until we actually get to Philadelphia because Joe forgot to take pictures of the first 5 places he saw.

Poor guy was too worried about that dang score sheet and apparently Philadelphians "talk really fast." I knew that score sheet was over the top.

Although today was a bit more depressing than we anticipated, I'm strangely not freaking (so out of character!). I have a weird feeling that tomorrow he will find the place. And I feel like he'll know at once that it is absolutely perfect and he won't find anything better in the price range (you know, like when he met me for the first time - minus the price range part haha).

Plus, the worse the place, the more of a creative challenge it will be to make it a beautiful home. I better get to pinning ;)

And wherever we are (no matter how tiny) will be just that - home - because we are there together.






Follow me on Bloglovin' 

1 comment:

  1. Best. Line. Ever:

    "Poor guy was too worried about that dang score sheet and apparently Philadelphians "talk really fast." I knew that score sheet was over the top."

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)