photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mad Scientist Date

Joe loves science. Me, not so much. But as I put together ideas for the date jars, I wanted to have a few dates where I was forced to do things I would never voluntarily do :)

Last week, he pulled one such date: Mad Scientists!

The idea was that Joe and I would find a science experiment online that sounded fun and try to replicate it. When I came up with the original idea, I was actually excited for the possibilities. I imagined exploding volcanoes and things of that sort.

Unfortunately, we let life get in the way and the date ended up being a dud.

Like we've done the past couple weeks, we postponed the date until Sunday - which is dangerous since we want to be sure that we don't skip weeks. When Sunday came, studying took a lot longer than Joe expected and we also wanted to devote time to celebrating the Breaking Bad finale. Since we are HUGE fans of the show, we wanted to watch the first two episodes of the series so we could remember how far the characters and story have come. The juxtaposition was awesome - but left us with no chance to do an experiment before the show.

After the show, I was ready for bed. But Joe insisted we couldn't go to bed before doing some kind of experiment. He looked up ideas on his phone and found one we could do quickly.

By this point, though, I was pretty drunk (a combination of celebration and depression BB was over). Thanks to my exhaustion and inebriation, I frankly didn't do much besides take photos and nod my head pretending to understand Joe.

The experiment was to make homemade lava, but we don't have food coloring so it was lame clear lava. The scientific principle at play was density. Salt was also involved. And oil.

That's all I've got by way of explanation.

***Side Note*** Let's be honest, even if I was completely sober and wide awake I probably wouldn't have gathered much more from the experiment than that due to my terrible scientific mind ***End of Side Note***

Here are some pictures, maybe you can get a better idea through them what happened :)

Joe - "Check it out Kate! It's SCIENCE!"
A bit skeptical. Lava that isn't red isn't impressive.
Explaining something about density and how the oil rises to the top of the water and when you pour salt down it weighs down the oil so it comes to the bottom of the cup
Woah. Wait! I do *kinda* understand it!
Yay science!
Can we please go to bed now.


Follow me on Bloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)