photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Monday, June 10, 2013

First Impressions

Well, hello friends. Long time no type.

We arrived in Philadelphia a week ago today, and finally have internet (as of about 20 minutes ago). That means I can get back to blogging. Yay!

We also finally have gas for our stove/oven (as of about 2 hours ago), so that means we can have REAL COOKED FOOD TONIGHT! Boiling water will be pretty much the most exciting thing that has happened to me in days.

(It's amazing the little things in life that you miss when you can't do them!)

So what are my first impressions of our new city-of-residence?

--------------------------------------
The Good:

(1) Our Apartment

I absolutely flat out LOVE our apartment. I can't say enough positive things about it. It's old (built in 1899!) so there are a few quirks (runny toilet, low clearance on the stairs - even I have to duck, and lots of floor creaking) - but that's nothing compared to the charm and the SPACE. We have two bedrooms (one will be Joe's office), high ceilings, a kitchen island, and a large bathroom.

For fun's sake, here's what was going on in the world the year our apartment was built:
  • The Treaty of Paris (ending the Spanish American War) was ratified by the US Senate
  • The first death by car accident occurred
  • The paperclip was patented 
  • Antarctica was discovered
  • Al Capone was born 
That also means our apartment existed before the Titanic sunk or World War I - in other words, Mary Crowley of Downton Abbey would have been 8 years old

(2) The People

I don't want to come across as a California-hater, but I don't find the people in CA to be very friendly on the whole. So far, everyone we have come across in Philly has been super friendly and helpful. I was a bit concerned about this given the stereotypes about East Coast attitudes, but either those stereotypes are wrong, Philly is a major exception, or we have just lucked out this first week. Fingers crossed it is not the latter.

(3) Proximity to UPenn

Being this close to UPenn is not only very convenient, but is super exciting because we can actually SEE Joe's dental school every day (we're just 2.5 blocks away). When seven months ago we weren't even sure he would get accepted anywhere, living mere minutes from the school that will make him a dentist is a real "pinch me I must be dreaming" experience.

I also love that being so close to the school means that there are cute little bars and restaurants and it feels "college-y." University City is over the river from Downtown Philly, so we aren't living in the middle of things. Plus, there are actually trees and available parking spots!

The Bad:

(1) This Ain't the Burbs

I'm not a fan of big cities. Even though I had to spend an hour each way commuting to work in San Francisco, it was worth it because we got to live in the burbs. We were 10 minutes from Costco, Target, Trader Joe's, Michael's Crafts, a mall, and pretty much every other store you could possibly want.

Living in Philly means that running errands is an event. You can't just quickly run to the store - you've got to plan it out. Target is at least 30 minutes away (that's without traffic, which is pretty much a certainty) and Costco and a mall are closer to 40 or 45 minutes.

It also means that I am going to have to seriously suck it up and get over my driving anxiety or I will be a prisoner in my own home.

***Side Note*** I got my driver's license while living in a town so small it didn't have a stoplight. I never got used to driving in cities or on freeways, and with commuting via public transit and Joe preferring to drive rather than be a passenger, I haven't had much time behind the wheel for a few years. This has only made me more nervous of a driver. ***End of Side Note***

(2) Humidity and Bugs

California is pretty awesome in terms of not having a lot of bugs and not having humidity. The temperature hasn't been bad since we've been here (it's rained half of the days), but the humidity makes me feel disgusting. I am definitely not used to it, and I'm scared to think how gross I'll feel when it gets hotter. I also have several bug bites. No mom, we don't have bedbugs. Speaking of bedbugs, Philly is the #1 city for bedbugs in the US. How nice.

(3) Liquor Laws

In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, you can only buy alcohol at liquor stores (besides bars and restaurants, obviously). Because the free market can't sell alcohol as it pleases, that means it is grossly overpriced. So long cheap Costco vodka :( Thanks puritans.

-------------------------------------- 

All-in-all, I think I'll be happy enough here for four years. This apartment sure makes it easier to be happy. Once again, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'll include pictures soon - but right now it is a total disaster zone.  

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are liking your new place! I think you will really like living so close to campus the first year (and I know Joe will like it!). That stinks about the humidity! I absolutely hate humidity, but I've heard that it helps your skin stay younger/healthier by keeping it from drying out so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)