photo first_zps9654522d.png photo second_zps4e737fb4.png photo third_zps892025ce.png photo fourth_zps267db957.png photo fifth_zps85782ec2.png photo sixth_zpsf1979907.png

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Giant Chalkboard Project

Chalkboards are SOOOO in right now. Despite that (or maybe I am more of a sheep than I realize), I decided that I wanted to make a giant chalkboard for our apartment.

There are other crafts on my to-do list (I've had an unfinished cabinet and a can of paint ready to be put to use for the last year), but when a new idea strikes all older craft plans get bumped down on the list. (Joe is convinced that can of paint will never be used.)

I had planned on hitting up thrift stores to find a large picture that I could paint over, but we hit the motherlode when one of the dental school frats had to sell their frat house and the contents within. Among the various items up-for-grabs were some giant dry-erase boards.

JACKPOT!

For just $5 a piece, we bought three whiteboards of varying (large) sizes. I'm not sure what I'll do with the other 2 (I'll figure out something), but the biggest one I flipped over and took a can of chalk paint to.

Had to remove a sticker with some nail polish remover (hence the discolored spot)
Pretty pleased with this chalkboard paint

It only took two coats of paint:

Coat 1 
Coat 2
It's not perfect (which annoys me) because you can sort of see brush strokes. But because my arms weren't long enough to get the roller to go down in one straight shot, I figured it would still be a problem whether I did 2 or 20 coats (maybe not, I know nothing about painting). For that reason and in the interest of conserving the chalk paint for another (currently undetermined) project, I decided to stick with just the 2 coats.

I was so excited to start drawing, but finished reading the instructions and realized I had to wait THREE WHOLE DAYS to write on it.

THE SUSPENSE ALMOST KILLED ME.

But Joe helped me hang the chalkboard today and I was able to test it out :)


SOOOOO LOVE THIS. I couldn't believe how easy it was :)

It's also inspired me to do some more crafts, so maybe I'll finally put that can of paint to use :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments :)